Thoughts on the new GR Corolla

Red Ryder

State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Civic Type R
LONG BEACH, Calif. (March 31, 2022) – It’s official: The powerful, stylish and agile hot hatch U.S. drivers are looking for is on its way, the first-ever 2023 GR Corolla. With the detail-obsessed TOYOTA GAZOO Racing team at the helm, and master driver Akio Toyoda, a.k.a. Morizo, signing off on approval, this all-new addition to Toyota’s growing lineup of sports cars brings the performance, handling and functionality that hot hatch fans love.

Powered by the lightweight, compact-yet-powerful G16E-GTS turbo-charged, direct/port injected three-cylinder engine, GR Corolla delivers 300 hp and 273 lb.-ft. of torque. Engineered for snappy acceleration out of the corners, output hits peak torque at 3000-5500 rpm, with max horsepower coming at 6500 rpm. Its thrill-inducing power is piped through a unique triple exhaust that’s designed to reduce backpressure for maximum power delivery.

The G16-E engine is paired with Toyota’s rally developed GR-Four All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) drivetrain. This system gives drivers a choice of 60-40, 50-50 or 30-70 power distribution to the front and rear wheels. GR Corolla will be offered exclusively in a manual transmission, staying true to its hands-on rally racing roots.

Its broad hatch profile and low center of gravity are built on Toyota’s GA-C platform, with enhanced frame reinforcements developed specifically for GR Corolla at GR Factory at Toyota Motomachi plant. Functional exterior air vents and aerodynamic features further support steering stability.

https://www.grcorolla.org/threads/heat-for-the-streets-toyota-debuts-first-ever-gr-corolla.441/

2023-toyota-gr-corolla-108-1648581911.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_01-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_04-scaled.jpg